ssjx
post Dec 10 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Elite Member

Group: Dev Team
Member No.: 12
Cybiko(s) Owned: Classic

Hi,
This is a test program that can view html pages that are sent via the serial port.

It is a combination of the html renderer from StormPlayer and the serial handling from Serial Loader. Because of this, the source is a little untidy due to heavy copying and pasting to get it working!

How to use

* Copy the voyager app to the cybiko and then run it. It will now wait for 60 seconds to receive a page.

* From the Windows command line, navigate to the folder containing the web page and type 'copy test.htm COM1:' (change the file name and com port accordingly). It should work from Linux using the equivalent command.

* With some luck, the html page will appear on the cybiko screen! Press escape to exit.

MAKE SURE THAT THE CYBIKO CONSOLE (OR CYBERLOAD) IS CLOSED, OTHERWISE THE COPY WILL NOT WORK AS THE SERIAL PORT IS IN USE.

Limitations

Obviously, this program is not a full blown web browser. There are some other limits worth mentioning:

* Maximum page size of 4k (this can be increased)

* The browser cannot request a page so cannot follow links, this requires a program to sit on the pc which i have not made yet.

* Related to the above, although the renderer can display bitmap images, it has no way to retrieve them so pictures cannot be loaded.

* No error checking is performed on the data sent, this could result in corrupt text.

I am hoping that i can get the program that sits on the pc to grab and format a live webpage and feed it to the cybiko.

The other method of webpage viewing i am considering is have the pc download the page and turn it into a large image that is then streamed to the cybiko. This would be a great method but would require a more complex program sitting on the pc, the cybiko client would be very small though as it would just need to send viewing co-ordinates.

Note that i do not have a second cybiko so it would probably be up to someone else to make any of this work wirelessly.

Here's the website link (the screenshot shown is not of this program but it is virtually identical..):

http://ssjx.co.uk/cybiko/voyager.php

Full source is included.

Thanks for looking,
Enjoy!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  voyager01.zip ( 10.41K ) Number of downloads: 23

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PalmPal
post Dec 11 2008, 01:02 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Cybiko(s) Owned: Both
Primary CyID: PALMPLA

Hey SSJX!
You are really on a roll here, i really should brush off my cybiko's and continue development too...

+Quote Post
ssjx
post Dec 11 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #3

Elite Member

Group: Dev Team
Member No.: 12
Cybiko(s) Owned: Classic

I could not bring myself to start or resume a java or freebasic project, so i thought i would throw together some cybiko programs!

Another thought i had with this browser prog is that it could be used as the basis of a reciever for other programs, e.g. if a plugin for another program (e.g. winamp) sends a html page to the serial port, it could be used to display additional info.

I'm part way through making 'Big View' which is an image viewer via the serial port, a bit like what i described on the top post. Hopefully it will mean being able to view huge images on a cybiko by having the cybiko request the required image blocks. Could be cool if it works as i imagine it!

After that, i will probably stop for another 12months unless i get any other ideas... wink.gif

Also i really should buy a second cybiko to try some wireless related things...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS

All original content, such as software, images, text and code is Planet Cybiko 2013

Lo-Fi Version
23rd April 2014 - 07:14 PM