Conversion to phpBB complete

News and site updates will be posted here.
PicanteGamer
Pimpy

Conversion to phpBB complete

Postby PicanteGamer » Tue May 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Hello everyone,
I've just completed a conversion from Invision Power Board, which we had been using for nearly 10 years, to phpBB3. The reason behind this move is that the version of IPB we were using was incredibly out of date, thus leaving the site open to bot and spam attacks. I am hopeful that with modern software equipped with the latest security defenses this should no longer be an issue. For the most part, I hope that the migration will not change your experience on Planet Cybiko. All topics, posts, and users have been migrated, and all downloads should be working. A couple of caveats though:

* User avatars were not migrated and thus I ask that you please re-add your avatar if you were previously using one.
    * User display names are not supported in phpBB, so if you were using a display name other than your original user name that has been reverted. To make up for this, I am allowing users to change their username on this new software.
    * Smilies in existing posts did not get converted. This means that they will not display correctly. I may attempt to go back and fix these at some point.
    * Blogs are not supported on phpBB. Since this feature had barely been used in years I don't see this as an issue.
    * Obviously, a bit more noticeably we are using a pretty basic phpBB default template. I will likely attempt to give it a more Cybiko-esque vibe in the coming weeks.

I have not deleted the old forum and I may make it available in read-only mode so that old blog posts and the like can still be read.

In general, I ask that everyone help out by letting me know if anything is amiss. These sorts of conversions are very difficult, especially due to the age of the previous software and some of the modifications that were present. I am hopeful that for the most part, despite some post-conversion quirks, this new system will provide an overall better experience for visitors to this site. I don't know about you all, but I had grown weary of visiting and seeing random Nike shoes and jewelry spam posts.

velocity37
Elite Member

Re: Conversion to phpBB complete

Postby velocity37 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 am

Hi Picante! Glad to see you're still keeping things in shape around here. It seems like a good move to transition to a more actively developed forum.

I noticed a big issue though. When I'm not logged in I can see and access all files and subforums (apart from the passworded ones), but when I'm logged in I see this. None of the forums outside of "GENERAL" are accessible.
Attachments
MissingForums.png
MissingForums.png (24.32 KiB) Viewed 9989 times

PicanteGamer
Pimpy

Postby PicanteGamer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:00 am

Hey Velocity, nice to hear from you! Yes, the permissions got a bit messed up after the conversion. I thought I had corrected them all but it looks like I missed a few forums. I believe that it should be fixed now but be sure and let me know if not.

Annoying, it seems like the spam bots are already finding ways to infiltrate phpBB. I'm going to try to beef up the security settings and see if that helps.

velocity37
Elite Member

Postby velocity37 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Looking good now! Have you considered routing the site through a free CloudFlare plan? That might block a lot of the spammy IP addresses without having to do anything in software.

Also I just noticed you're hosting the site on DigitalOcean. I didn't realize you meant them when you made the post about moving to cloud hosting. I've been using their services myself recently, along with Linode :)

PicanteGamer
Pimpy

Postby PicanteGamer » Sun May 31, 2015 10:49 pm

As a heads-up, I've just updated the boards to phpBB 3.1 from 3.0. It was not a difficult migration but the theme was not compatible. I'll update it in the coming weeks. For now, please let me know if you encounter any other quirks from this upgrade.

PicanteGamer
Pimpy

Postby PicanteGamer » Sun May 31, 2015 11:03 pm

Quick follow up: somewhat got a theme together but it needs more work and a logo. Also looks like the "last post" titles for some forums didn't get carried over properly but that's no big deal.

Return to “News”